Natural linen fabric is something we all associate with quality clothing, curtains and bedding but I wanted to share five facts that you may not know about this wonderfully versatile natural fabric.
1. Natural fabric linen is created from the fibres of the beautiful flax plant.
The dainty flax plant is the secret behind the natural fabric linen.
The fibres from the flax plant are used to create fine linen fabric.
2. The botanical name of the flax plant is Linum usitatissimum and the English word, linen, is derived from the generic name, linum.
Amy linen fabric available on our online fabric store
3. Linen was used by the Egyptians for mummification.
Linen fabric wrapped around an Egyptian mummy.
4. Linen fabric resists dirt and stains.
5. Linen is used by bakers for holding dough into shape before baking.
This type of linen cloth is called a couche and is heavily floured to ensure a non-stick surface to hold the dough.
The linen couche is folded into ridges to prevent the dough from spreading.
At Natalie Canning Interiors we have an extensive range of natural linen fabrics all ideal for creating exquisite curtains, roman blinds and most other soft furnishings. Linen curtain fabric is the perfect choice for timeless and relaxed country schemes.
Lavenham linen fabric available from our online fabric store
Free Fabric Samples and Free Delivery is available on all natural fabric orders.
(expert in handmade curtains, blinds and soft furnishings, specialists in natural fabrics for country home interiors, Bronte by Design wool throws, free fabric samples)